Genomic data is rapidly transforming the way we understand the natural world and ourselves. While genomic technologies continue to advance at an accelerated pace, we still have much ground to gain in building local capacity to enable diverse regions of the world to lead their own population and medical genomics projects. Mexico is paving this road by creating a nation-wide DNA biobank that is entirely genotyped in local institutions, with scientists working locally directing the analyses of the genotyped data in collaboration with foreign scientists. With this initiative we intend not only to create a Big Data genetic resource but also to foster large-scale analytical studies by training local scientists through a practical workshop on genetic association studies in structured populations.
In this workshop, through a combination of lectures and hands-on exercises, we will guide students and researchers on the basics of microarray and next generation sequencing data, their quality control, the implementation of genome-wide association studies (GWAS), and the challenges that remain in such studies especially regarding issues of conducting GWAS in structured populations and transferring GWAS statistics between populations. The existing UK Biobank and the upcoming Mexico Biobank will serve as case studies throughout the workshop, which along with teaching theoretical underpinnings, will be grounded in real world research projects and challenges.
When: November 27th – 30th , 2018
Where: National Laboratory of Genomics for Biodiversity (UGA -LANGEBIO), CINVESTAV Irapuato, Guanajuato, Mexico
Admission: $800.00 MXN
*Limited fellowships available (Transportation and lodging)
Registration deadline: Extended to September 28th, 2018.
- Dr. Andrés Moreno-Estrada, UGA -LANGEBIO, Mexico
- Dr. Selene Fernández-Valverde, UGA -LANGEBIO, Mexico
- Dr. Chiara Batini, University of Leicester/HDR UK, UK
- Dr. Alexander Mentzer, Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, UK
- Dr. Adrian Cortés, University of Oxford, UK
- Dr. Amanda Chong, Wellcome Centre for Human Genetics, University of Oxford, UK
- Dr. Mashaal Sohail, Department of Biomedical Informatics, Harvard Medical School, USA; Langebio, Cinvestav, Mexico
- Dr. Mitzi Flores-Ponce, UGA -LANGEBIO, Mexico
- MSc. Adriana Garmendia Corona, UGA -LANGEBIO, Mexico